Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Related Dementias
Many people wonder what the difference is between Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Dementia is an overall term for a particular group of symptoms. Characteristic symptoms of dementia include difficulties with memory, language, problem-solving and other thinking skills that affect a person’s ability to perform everyday activities.
- Alzheimer’s disease is a form of dementia. In fact, it is the most common form. Alzheimer’s is progressive, meaning it becomes worse with time and is ultimately fatal.
Alzheimer’s disease is a growing public health crisis in Minnesota. Without an effective treatment or cure, the impact of Alzheimer’s will continue to rise and the number of Minnesotans with the disease will escalate. Current data reveals that 99,000 people aged 65+ are living with Alzheimer’s in Minnesota and that number is expected to increase to 120,000 by the year 2025. Also, there are 170,000 family caregivers in Minnesota providing 155 million hours of unpaid care, valued at $3.3 billion.
These statistics confirm that a public health approach is necessary to lessen the burden and enhance the quality of life for all involved.
Alzheimer’s Services and Support
A.C.E. of SW Minnesota’s Program Managers in Cottonwood, Lincoln, Lyon, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone, Redwood, and Rock County continue to work on three main objectives related to Alzheimer’s disease and other related dementias:
Services and programs offered include:
- Memory Care Consultations
- Caregiver Support Groups
- Respite Care (non-professional) – short-term,
- Building Better Caregivers Classes
- Powerful Tools for Caregivers Classes
- Virtual Aging and Dementia Experience Trainings
- Dementia Friends Presentations
- Dementia Awareness Networks
- Spring and Fall Dementia Education Events
Is there a fee?
Dementia services and support are provided to all participants at NO COST. Donations are always accepted.
We are here to help you!
We are your local voice for aging services and volunteer opportunities and are ready to serve you!